Transportation Asset Management Systems Product Manager
Summary of the Position
The Transportation Asset Management Systems Product Manager (Asset Product Manager) is responsible for product planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle. Tasks include working with the Marketing Team to gather, understand, and prioritize product and customer requirements, collaborating with the Product Team to define the product vision, assisting the Engineering and Software Teams in the development of the product, and supporting the organization in its use of the product. The Asset Product Manager serves as a subject matter expert. The individual in this role maintains knowledge of the industry and of the current state of the art of the relevant technologies through attendance at conferences and participation in industry committees and associations.
- Develop expertise in product knowledge, technical knowledge, and industry and process knowledge in relevant product areas by:
- Maintaining communication with industry relevant organizations
- Becoming an active member of relevant industry committees and associations
- Presenting at and attending product relevant conferences
- Developing working relationships with technology suppliers
- Maintain oversight of complete product life cycle from development to end-of-life
- Develop product roadmaps that include high-level summaries that map out the vision and direction of the product offerings over time
- Work with Marketing Team to understand and analyze client needs
- Collaborate with the Engineering and Development Teams to design and deliver solutions per client and company needs
- Support the organization in the utilization of the technology and related products
- Participate in design sessions for development of new functionality and for customization of existing functionality
- Consult on implementation of new deliverables
- Review product performance against client and company requirements to provide optimal product
- Ensure marketing and training materials are fully compliant with the current industry standards
- Own, understand, and maintain up to date industry standards
- Respond to internal questions regarding technology, products, and standards
- Identify future technological developments and position company accordingly
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Effectively communicates complex ideas and technical information to a variety of audiences
- Clarifies meaning and intent of others’ communication when it is unclear
- Utilizes strong listening skills and forms direct, supported responses to questions and/or concerns
- Creatively identifies and utilizes all available communication channels and methods
- Breaks down complex concepts, issues, and solutions to aid understanding by all stakeholders
- Compares data from a variety of sources
- Notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in information and materials
- Identifies and evaluates many possible solutions for a problem
- Proactively identifies the root causes of problems
- Keeps informed about changes in software, hardware, and standard procedures
- Tracks new advancements and cutting-edge developments in the industry
- Interprets industry laws, regulations, and standards to thoroughly understand clients’ requirements and/or concerns
- Acts as a technical resource and transfers knowledge and skills to others
- Develops persuasive and technically supported research to address the concerns and needs of stakeholders
- Builds alliances and seeks outside resources to support research
- Presents research succinctly and clearly links to business or organizational needs and priorities
- Persists despite challenging circumstances; adjusts focus when it becomes obvious that a goal cannot be achieved
- Initiates individual or group projects and takes responsibility for their success
- Actively works to overcome obstacles by changing strategies or using multiple approaches
- Takes responsibility to develop all steps of a project when the outcomes and circumstances are not well-defined
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the primary responsibilities of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET accredited engineering program
- 3+ years of experience in the development and management of Transportation Assets Management Systems
This position requires up to 20% travel throughout the United States and Canada. Other international travel may be required on a limited basis.
Physical and Environmental Demands of the Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to have clear vision at 20 inches or less to view and effectively utilize general office equipment and computers. In addition the employee is occasionally required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. And, work outdoors for testing and set-up of data collection vehicles, cameras and other equipment is sometimes necessary.
The information contained in this job description is intended to describe the essential job functions required of those assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountabilities, activities, and knowledge needed to perform the job. Please note that job functions are reviewed periodically and are subject to change based upon company business need.