Summary of the Position
The Geospatial Technologist is responsible for creating the database environment for service and sales projects. They will also assist in the preparation of delivery data sets and maintaining project progress through the delivery cycle by implementing custom and automated processes. This includes working closely with Database Integrators to establish project specific processes and implement advanced QC protocols. The Geospatial Technologist assists Data Technicians in data correction and software troubleshooting. They will work with the Technology Team to define new software requirements. This employee takes initiative to gain skills and improve internal processes.
- Construct database environment for each internal/external project which ensures all delivery requirements will be met
- Performs and designs quality control processes for project deliverables
- Assists Database Integrators by creating automated tools to produce delivery files
- Direct, lead, and participate in continuous improvement events
- Reviews and refines project specific processes and documentation
- Act as interface between Production and Technology teams to define, develop and refine large scale software projects
- Provides internal software and database support to Production
- Develop statistical analysis tools to scrub collected geospatial data of gaps, anomalies, and other errors.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Keeps informed about changes and advancements in data technology areas
- Generates technical and process documentation for internal and external use
- Acts as a technical resource and transfers knowledge and skills to others
- Generates new ideas when roadblocks are found in existing workflows
- Effectively communicates complex ideas and technical information to a variety of audiences
- Clarifies meaning and intent of others’ communication when it is unclear
- Utilizes strong listening skills and forms direct, supported responses to questions and/or concerns
- Seeks out answers when more information is required or assistance is needed
- Locate and obtain existing geographic information databases and other datasets that complement company collected data.
- Breaks down complex concepts, issues, and solutions to aid understanding by all stakeholders
- Compares data from a variety of sources
- Compile, code, categorize, calculate, tabulate, audit, and verify information and data.
- Notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in information and materials
- Identifies and evaluates many possible solutions for a problem
- Proactively identifies the root causes of problems
- Displays integrity at all times and especially during times of adversity
- Collaborates effectively with colleagues, customers, and outside partners
- Innovates and demonstrates creativity in thinking
- Displays adaptability and versatility
- Persists despite challenging circumstances; adjusts focus when it becomes obvious that a goal cannot be achieved
- Actively works to overcome obstacles by changing strategies or using multiple approaches
- Takes responsibility to develop all steps of a project when the outcomes and circumstances are not well-defined
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the primary responsibilities of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM field
- Python, ArcPy, PHP, or other scripting language abilities
- Relational database experience; preferably MySQL, Oracle and MS SQLServer
- Advanced SQL command knowledge
- Spatial database experience
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems and achieve results
- Master’s degree in scientific field
- Application development, database stored procedures and/or advanced scripting experience
- Experience using geospatial tools and software
- Experience with both MacOS and Windows
This position may require some occasional travel to locations throughout the United States.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to have clear vision at 20 inches or less to view and effectively utilize general office equipment and computers.
The information contained in this job description is intended to describe the essential job functions required of those assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountabilities, activities, and knowledge needed to perform the job. Please note that job functions are reviewed periodically and are subject to change based upon company business need.
Apply below or send resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Geospatial Technologist” included in the subject line. Equal Opportunity Employer.