Summary of the Position
The Industrial Engineer is responsible for performing a wide variety of engineering assignments in developing and implementing processing methods and controls to meet customer quality standards in the most cost-efficient manner. They will drive breakthrough process improvement targets by identifying opportunities and applying lean tools. This person will also be responsible for cultivating a lean culture and establishing a foundation for continuous improvement. Knowledge of lean tools is necessary for the individual in this position.
- Perform a variety of industrial engineering assignments in support of the goals and vision of the company
- Support long term projects aligned with strategic initiatives focused around process development
- Direct, lead, and participate in continuous improvement events
- Use appropriate measurement, analysis, and evaluation methods to accurately identify and document
- process improvements
- Work cooperatively with all department functional managers to reduce lead times, maximize process
- efficiency, and minimize costs
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
- Keeps informed about changes in the field of industrial engineering
- Tracks new advancements and cutting-edge developments in the industry
- Acts as a technical resource and transfers knowledge and skills to others
- Effectively communicates complex ideas and technical information to a variety of audiences
- Clarifies meaning and intent of others’ communication when it is unclear
- Utilizes strong listening skills and forms direct, supported responses to questions and/or concerns
- Creatively identifies and utilizes all available communication channels and methods
- Breaks down complex concepts, issues, and solutions to aid understanding by all stakeholders
- Compares data from a variety of sources
- Notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in information and materials
- Identifies and evaluates many possible solutions for a problem
- Proactively identifies the root causes of problems
- Displays integrity at all times and especially during times of adversity
- Collaborates effectively with colleagues, customers, and outside partners
- Innovates and demonstrates creativity in thinking
- Displays adaptability and versatility
- Persists despite challenging circumstances; adjusts focus when it becomes obvious that a goal cannot be achieved
- Initiates individual or group projects and takes responsibility for their success
- Actively works to overcome obstacles by changing strategies or using multiple approaches
- Takes responsibility to develop all steps of a project when the outcomes and circumstances are not well-defined
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform the primary responsibilities of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering or other engineering field
- Advanced Microsoft Office Skills, especially using Excel to manipulate large data sets
- Experience in lean manufacturing environment using lean tools
- Demonstrated ability to apply lean manufacturing principles to solve complex problems and achieve results
- Demonstrated ability to lead continuous improvement changes in cross-functional team environment
- Experience using geospatial tools and software
- Experience with MacOS
This position may require some occasional travel to locations throughout the United States.
Physical and Environmental Demands of the Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to have clear vision at 20 inches or less to view and effectively utilize general office equipment and computers. In addition the employee is occasionally required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds. And, work outdoors for testing and set-up of data collection vehicles, cameras and other equipment is sometimes necessary.
The information contained in this job description is intended to describe the essential job functions required of those assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountabilities, activities, and knowledge needed to perform the job. Please note that job functions are reviewed periodically and are subject to change based upon company business need.