Information Technology Intern
Summary of the Position
Information Technology supports the people and systems that generate over a half a petabyte of data annually and increasing. Our technology interns will help manage VMware, Docker Swarms, JAMF, Apple laptops, Atlassian products to name but a few. We support MAC, Windows and Linux. Our application support covers custom applications and off the shelf products.
We provide support and constant connectivity to our mobile sensor platforms around the country. We work with multiple departments and quality initiatives to improve operational performance of the systems and applications. To thrive you must like solving problems, enjoy challenges, think on your feet and enjoy seeing your contributions become something bigger when integrated with your teammates.
- Troubleshoot and repair hardware and software issues
- Educate Mandli staff on best practices
- Respond to support requests when they arise
- Keep inventory records current
- Know how to install an operating system
- Network configuration and DNS management
- Enjoy learning
- Get to the bottom of the problem and prevent it from reoccurring
- Be open to and welcome peer review
- Enjoy learning
- Continually strive to improve quality
Teamwork, Communication and Reporting
- Be kind, be honest and achieve results…
- You should like working in small and large groups
- Ideas matter, we want to hear yours
- Learn from others and other departments
- Listen with intent, hear and understand others ideas too
- Always be respectful to yourself and others
What you will learn
- Use JAMF to deploy applications
- VMWare management
- Docker swarm management
- System monitoring
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to summarize problems in your own words and understand the “Why”
- A Bachelor’s degree (or in the process of attaining) is required in Computer Science or related Engineering field
- Solid understanding of operating systems, networks, firewalls application servers and databases
- Excellent communication, documentation, and organizational skills
- Experience working in a command line environment
- Experience working with SQL
- Knowledge of Linux Shell scripting
- Experience with Python
- Familiarity using Docker, VMware
- Familiarity with Source Control Management
- Experience working in a team environment utilizing AGILE methodologies
- Experience with GIS systems and software
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Willing to undergo a pre-employment drug test
This position does not require any set amount of travel. Travel may be required for specific projects on a case by case basis.
Physical and Environmental Demands of the Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to have clear vision at 20 inches or less to view and effectively utilize general office equipment and computers. Ability to carry/relocate equipment up to 60lbs.
The information contained in this job description is intended to describe the essential job functions required of those assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountabilities, activities, and knowledge needed to perform the job. Please note that job functions are reviewed periodically and are subject to change based upon company business need.