Internship: Software Developer Intern
Summary of the Position
As a Software Developer Intern you will design, develop, test, and support software solutions as part of the Mandli Communications, Inc. Technology Department. You will work closely with Software Developers to implement functionality for software applications that help our customers gather, process, and analyze transportation infrastructure information. You will leverage a passion for learning new and exciting technologies, and an ability to adapt to different technical environments to bring cutting edge solutions to our customers.
- Use Java, Kotlin, Python… but we are really interested in how you breakdown a problem and think through the solution
- Write code that is readable. We have standards for this, and as an intern we will help you learn what this means in a production environment
- We generate a lot of data, it gets stored in multiple formats, specifically you should be able to work with MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Respond to support requests when they arise
- Be open to and welcome peer review
- Enjoy learning, be open to and welcome peer review
- Continually strive to write better code
Teamwork, Communication and Reporting
- Be kind, be honest and achieve results…
- You should like working in small and large groups
- Ideas matter, we want to hear yours
- Learn from others and other departments
- Listen with intent, hear and understand others ideas too
- Always be respectful to yourself and others
Specialized Knowledge/Skills, Education and Other Requirements
- Proficient in IDEs such as Eclipse
- Use Git to check out code
- Read, write and refactor code
- Skill level required to perform Software Engineering related tasks
- At a minimum must have the ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, as well as create and interpret graphs
- Must be able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Understanding of complex geometry, trigonometry, advanced algebra, statistics, and basic calculus
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to summarize problems in your own words and understand the “Why”.
- A Bachelor’s degree (or in the process of attaining) is required in Computer Science or related Engineering Field
- Solid understanding of Object Oriented Programming design and development
- Excellent communication, documentation, and organizational skills
- Experience programming in Java
- Experience working with SQL
- Experience with Unit testing
- UI design experience
- Experience working with Databases – MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL
- Familiarity using Continuous Integration systems
- Familiarity with Source Control Management
- Experience working in a team environment utilizing AGILE methodologies
- Experience with GIS systems and software
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- Willing to undergo a pre-employment drug test
This position does not require any set amount of travel.
Physical and Environmental Demands of the Position
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. Vision requirements include the ability to have clear vision at 20 inches or less to view and effectively utilize general office equipment and computers. Ability to carry/relocated equipment up to 40 lbs.
The information contained in this job description is intended to describe the essential job functions required of those assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all accountabilities, activities, and knowledge needed to perform the job. Please note that job functions are reviewed periodically and are subject to change based upon company business need.